Thursday, August 26, 2010

Asian Cole Slaw

This recipe is SIMPLE and AMAZING!!!

SALAD
2 packages ramen noodles, crushed (you can use any flavor, but I prefer Oriental)
16 oz package cole slaw mix
3/4 to 1 bunch green onions
1 to 2 large celery stalks
1/2 cup sunflower kernals
3/4 cup slivered almonds

DRESSING
slightly less than 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
slightly less than 1/3 cup white vinegar
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
2 ramen noodle spice packets (from the noodles used in the salad)

1. Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a 2 cup container.
3. Pour dressing over salad and mix until well combined.

ENJOY!

NOTE:
The original versions of this recipe do not call for sesame oil or rice vinegar, but I find that both add a uniquely Asian flavor that goes so well with the other ingredients.  I typically use a little less than 1/2 cup of vegetable oil when I add the sesame oil, and a little less than 1/3 cup of white vinegar when I add rice vinegar.  If you don't use the sesame oil and rice vinegar, then use the full 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and full 1/3 cup of white vinegar.  I've also added water chestnuts, on occasion, for extra crunch, but I actually prefer it without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment